Thursday 13 December 2012

Hear: Twin Falls - Come Christmas, Break My Heart

Existing somewhere in the beautiful space between cheery folk and moody indie is where you would find Twin Falls, a music project of westcountryman Luke Stidson. Luke was brought to my attention last year when I was played his debut album "Slow Numb". It's another one of those albums where I cannot put my finger on genre or influence; which I love when hearing new music. It is for that reason that it became a stand-out for me in 2011 and the single 'Janie, I Will Only Let You Down' in particular has become one of my favourite tracks.

So, amidst the break between albums, Twin Falls have re-appeared with this new creation. A Christmas EP of original songs and classic christmas covers called "Come Christmas, Break My Heart". The title in itself may sell it for you or put you off entirely but I think that the most alluring point about this release is that it brings something new to listen to during the 'holiday season' (to use the vocabulary of our trans-atlantic cousins).

The statement of intent with a fuzz riddened guitar either being de-tuned and re-tuned again or given the digitech whammy treatment (can't quite figure out which) at the beginning of the opening track sums it up for me. This is not a place for carol-singing kids or anything in the vein of Sir Cliff. It's a raw, yet delicate exploration into the emotions felt at Christmas. The perfect antidote to the relentlessly cheerful department store tunes. For me it's currently taking the top spot over other christmas classics and the new take on Mud's "Lonely This Christmas" is a personal highlight; performing that incredible service of taking a song you have grown to despise and reversing those feelings entirely.

"Come Christmas" is a perfectly timed release, whetting the appetites, ready for the second album "May All Your Dreams Be Full Of Light" coming early next year.

But don't take my word for it. Have a listen yourself.
The title track is below and if you like it then download the whole EP for FREE here.